Product: MapInfo Professional
Version: 11.x, 10.5, 10.0, 9.5, 9.0
Platform: Not Platform Related
Category: Thematic Mapping
Creating two thematics on a table of points using two range values also know as a Bivariate Thematic using two ranges.
Creating two thematics on a table of points using two range different values is also know as a Bivariate Thematic map. This type of thematic can represent two variables in the same map for the same point location.
Here are the steps to create a bivariate thematic showing two range values at the same point location. One variable "A" will be represented by the color of the symbol. Variable "B" will be represented by the size of the symbol. A legend will be generated for each range type.
The example here will show Population values as various colors for each range. And, a SalesAmount will be represented by different sizes for each range.
1. Here is the table displayed showing the Pop_1990 and SalesAmt:
2. First go to Map>create thematic map.
Click the Ranges button in the upper left of the dialog.
Select any POINT range templet that shows some type of color. This example uses Point Ranges, Sequential Blue HSV
3. Choose the correct Table name and first column that will be used for the ranges to be displayed by the different color styles.
4. Click Next to see the default values displayed.
These can be adjusted and customized now or later using Map>Modify Thematic Map.
The Styles button can be selected to choose a star, square, etc... or any symbol style.
Click OK when adjusted to create the desired ranges and styles.
5. Here is the first range displayed:
6. Again, go to Map>Create Thematic Map.
Select Ranges as the type.
This time, choose Point Ranges, Varying Size for the template.
7. Again, select the same, correct table name. This time, select the Second Range value column to be displayed by the different size of the symbol.
8. Click Next to see the preview of the theme.
9. Click the Styles button. Then the Options button.
In the lower right corner of the dialog, under "Apply", select Size.
Here is a display of the final product: